Skip to main content

Would You Change Anything?

I had this moment while watching an episode of Game of Thrones. I won't go in to the details of the scene, but I'll tell you the thought journey I went down. In that moment, I couldn't help but think about how it would be to live life without a calendar and without a mirror.
Since having kids, I can't help but start thinking about our culture and It's expectations. It really feels like life in our current age and current culture has more expectations than ever before. We take a certain amount of life years, and chunk them up with milestones that you're expected to hit. Grade school, middle school, high school, college, career, marriage, house, kids, retirement. Maybe I missed a few steps in there, and maybe some people have added more milestones than the generic ones that I've just listed.
I'm sometimes surprised that this is so ingrained in our psyche, that I've heard many people say things like:
"I thought I'd have kids by the time I was 35."
"I expected to be at a different place in life than I am at age 40."
"I wish I wasn't still living in a starter home at age 23."
"I thought I'd finally be retired at 65 and living the life I wanted."

Watching that scene, I couldn't help but think about living life without a calendar. A life absent the expectations of having achievement x crossed off our lists at a certain time.
And what if we lived without a mirror? Have a life that could go by year by year, decade by decade, without us ever realizing that we were physically aging and the fear that comes along with that.
What if we could live our life without the fear of not accomplishing the things we have been conditioned to think we should, while not having a calendar and an aging face in the mirror counting down the days chasing these things that in the end may not even matter?

A friend of mine recently experienced the death of a close friend. While having a conversation with another friend about that subject, we talked about how hard it can be to accept death. Often times, death is harder on the individuals remaining than it is on the individual who passed. In my opinion, the hardest thing about the death of someone close is eventually accepting how we are spending our time while still alive. I believe there's a regret we have, recognizing we are burning time chasing things that in the end, do not matter. We wish we would have spent more time with the person who passed. We wish we had spent more time with our kids while they were growing up. We wish we didn't mortgage our time like we do. The death of others can sometimes make us think of the regrets we have while living. Most of the time this feeling is fleeting, and we go right back to life as usual.
I talked Monday about living a life on autopilot. You can only live a life like this when it's "comfortable". When you're living a life that continually chooses the path of least resistance. Heading to an established finish line. Checking boxes.
Would there be anything you'd change or want to experience if your life didn't have a calendar or a mirror?

The Strumbellas - Wars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Dieting

As talked about yesterday, Americans spend a lot of money on food and drink. If you eat outside of your home often, you spend even more. Two weeks in to this 30 day budget cycle, and I'm already at my budgeted amount for food/groceries/house items. After seeing this I need to make two changes. The first change is adding another line item to my budget for household items (think paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning products), because right now it's getting lumped in with my grocery dollars. The second change is an effort to eat more frugally. I've begun to do this, but efforts will be increased. Here is my plan: I need to get to a point where I make a list and shop once a week. I've been known to stop by Hannaford 3-4 times per week and this alone will lead to buying too much. I want to stick to a simple eating plan: Delay my first meal as long as possible in the morning. I think there are benefits to the combination of  intermittent fasting/calorie restriction

Time and Money

The past four years have been a realization that there exists two main commodities in life, time and money. In this post I talked about the fact that when you spend your money, you're mortgaging your time. This was most evident a few weeks after Christmas 2014. The girls reached an age where their Christmas list was quite large; a lists of desired toys influenced by the culture they find themselves growing up in. L and I obliged their many desires that year, leading to a fairly expensive Christmas. A mere two weeks after Christmas those many wants, which were now haves in their very hands, no longer held the same meaning to them. I didn't and don't blame them for this. I feel it's a "luxury" of their generation, and if I'm honest, each generation between theirs and my own. Under that tree that year existed many hours L and I spent at work. I dare say time that would have rather been spent as a family, doing any number of things that cost little to

Find a Tribe

With most goals, I always suggest people find a small accountability group for support. It's often said that our behaviors can be strongly influenced by the 6 closest people in our lives.  According to a survey done by the investment app Acorns, talking about money isn't something that people like to do. I dare say many find it taboo. A statistic shared by Acorns is that 68% of people would rather talk about their weight than talk about their financial situation .  One side benefit of sharing this journal, is I have found others that are on a similar journeys. Having people to discuss things with and hold you accountable (whether directly or passively) can help with motivation. Finding someone who has practiced the behaviors you're working on for a good duration of their life can serve as a great mentor, whether you actually designate that person with such a title or not. Whatever life goals you have, find a tribe of like minded individuals. Guard against people who co