Skip to main content

Time and Money

The past four years have been a realization that there exists two main commodities in life, time and money.

In this post I talked about the fact that when you spend your money, you're mortgaging your time.

This was most evident a few weeks after Christmas 2014. The girls reached an age where their Christmas list was quite large; a lists of desired toys influenced by the culture they find themselves growing up in. L and I obliged their many desires that year, leading to a fairly expensive Christmas.

A mere two weeks after Christmas those many wants, which were now haves in their very hands, no longer held the same meaning to them. I didn't and don't blame them for this. I feel it's a "luxury" of their generation, and if I'm honest, each generation between theirs and my own.

Under that tree that year existed many hours L and I spent at work. I dare say time that would have rather been spent as a family, doing any number of things that cost little to nothing. We gave that time away for possessions.

While we're speaking of possessions, how many things in your life hold true value to you? If your house was on fire, and you had time to grab the things most meaningful to you, what objects would earn your efforts? If you're like me, once learning your family was safe, there are few things that mean much of anything. We can't even say pictures anymore, they're in the cloud. My lock box and golf clubs, perhaps...

So why do we mortgage our time to fill our lives with things that merely pose as trip hazards in our burning house, and our life path?

I've heard from parents lately that they have been dialing back their family Christmas gift giving, in exchange for a better experience (time together!). I feel it's incumbent on me to teach my kids to find contentment and happiness in life that isn't based on the amount, or cost, of objects they're able to obtain.

My favorite quote on frugal living and minimalism is the following:  "Perhaps the most brilliant side-effect of restricting our consumption is that it keeps us alive to pleasure."

This quote was from a woman named Annie Raser-Rowland who authored the book "The Art of Frugal Hedonism:  A Guide to Spending Less While Enjoying Everything More". I'm going to borrow an image that can be found at the website within that link:


Don't overlook the value of your time.

Let's end with a thought scenario. Let's say the average Christmas with kids costs $500. If we cut that to $200, and invested the difference in a retirement savings account, how much time would that potentially buy us back (in time) when considering retirement? They say the market has grown 10% on average since the 1920's. Let's safely use an annual return of 7.5% to the $300 dollars you put in every Christmas for 20 years. In 20 years, that $6000 dollars would have earned you $8,265.76. Feel free to check my math...

How much time does $8,265.76 earn you? Time freed up to do things you feel make a difference, or time spent with the people that mean the most to you. How many more areas of your life can you save additional money to store away?

Comments

  1. I ran your $300 annual contribution for 20 years through a savings calculator at 7.5% and came up with $13,xxx! (But maybe I'm doing it wrong.) Either way it's a great way to look at it!

    Or consider a matching 529 college savings plan (like FAME offers) to save for college, university, trade school, voc school or other post secondary educational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're close on the total, I subtracted the $6,000 deposited from that total to show earnings only (but the total I had was $14,xxx).

      We do have 529's established, but not contributing to regularly (yet!).

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Dieting

As talked about yesterday, Americans spend a lot of money on food and drink. If you eat outside of your home often, you spend even more. Two weeks in to this 30 day budget cycle, and I'm already at my budgeted amount for food/groceries/house items. After seeing this I need to make two changes. The first change is adding another line item to my budget for household items (think paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning products), because right now it's getting lumped in with my grocery dollars. The second change is an effort to eat more frugally. I've begun to do this, but efforts will be increased. Here is my plan: I need to get to a point where I make a list and shop once a week. I've been known to stop by Hannaford 3-4 times per week and this alone will lead to buying too much. I want to stick to a simple eating plan: Delay my first meal as long as possible in the morning. I think there are benefits to the combination of  intermittent fasting/calorie restriction

Friday's = Confessional

Another 30 day cycle in the books, and another good week of spending. I'll share some of the standout variances after my last 30 day cycle: I paid an extra $25 towards mortgage principle. I went over the food budget by $130 Underpaid credit cards by $400, because, Work on the car cost $420. Not too bad. I knew my grocery bill was doomed. Too many small trips to the store added up on me. The family is in a better groove now with planned eating, so looking to keep that at the aggressive goal of $100/week. Here is the progress graph: Right on target for phase 1 completion on 2/15/2019. Auto insurance for L and I are due, so that may be another small hit to the cash flow going towards credit cards, but we'll keep plugging away. I've created another chart, primarily for motivation. It's tracking the value of my accounts, absent mortgage/house value. So, it's net worth outside of the house. If that doesn't help me stay motivated, nothing will. To