Skip to main content

Friday's = Confessional

Another 30 day cycle in the books, and another good week of spending.

I'll share some of the standout variances after my last 30 day cycle:
I paid an extra $25 towards mortgage principle.
I went over the food budget by $130
Underpaid credit cards by $400, because,
Work on the car cost $420.

Not too bad. I knew my grocery bill was doomed. Too many small trips to the store added up on me. The family is in a better groove now with planned eating, so looking to keep that at the aggressive goal of $100/week.

Here is the progress graph:


Right on target for phase 1 completion on 2/15/2019. Auto insurance for L and I are due, so that may be another small hit to the cash flow going towards credit cards, but we'll keep plugging away.

I've created another chart, primarily for motivation. It's tracking the value of my accounts, absent mortgage/house value. So, it's net worth outside of the house.


If that doesn't help me stay motivated, nothing will. To have these entities cross just after starting was rewarding. Qtr one included Feb, Mar, and Apr which were the first 3 months I started.

For the week, I've done well. The weight loss eating plan has kept food spending down. I did make one purchase - new cleats for the softball season. After consideration and feedback from a few regular readers, I returned them and will use all the shoe goo necessary to get as much out of the old cleats as possible. They took a beating Sunday, playing 5 games, which leads me to minimal fitness:

The 5 softball games destroyed me (lots of sprinting). Wish this wasn't as true a statement as it is.
Walked 6 miles and biked 50. Fit in 3 strength circuits.

Great week - have a wonderful weekend everyone. Hibernation is officially over.

Comments

  1. It's encouraging to see your making progress.

    $100 seems like a tight budget for groceries but I know you can do it, because we have. We feel crazy shopping only once a week with our list in one hand and a calculator in the other but it's what we have found keeps us under budget. Almost every week we have to say NO to something to keep in budget. We also use cash for groceries. Really hard to over spend a $100 bill if that's all you brought.

    Keep your head up and your eyes on the goal. It's a hard journey but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment - trying to do groceries just once a week has been in the back of my mind for a while. Something to work on to avoid death by 15 papercuts (must go to Hannaford around that many times per month).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Dieting

As talked about yesterday, Americans spend a lot of money on food and drink. If you eat outside of your home often, you spend even more. Two weeks in to this 30 day budget cycle, and I'm already at my budgeted amount for food/groceries/house items. After seeing this I need to make two changes. The first change is adding another line item to my budget for household items (think paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning products), because right now it's getting lumped in with my grocery dollars. The second change is an effort to eat more frugally. I've begun to do this, but efforts will be increased. Here is my plan: I need to get to a point where I make a list and shop once a week. I've been known to stop by Hannaford 3-4 times per week and this alone will lead to buying too much. I want to stick to a simple eating plan: Delay my first meal as long as possible in the morning. I think there are benefits to the combination of  intermittent fasting/calorie restriction

Time and Money

The past four years have been a realization that there exists two main commodities in life, time and money. In this post I talked about the fact that when you spend your money, you're mortgaging your time. This was most evident a few weeks after Christmas 2014. The girls reached an age where their Christmas list was quite large; a lists of desired toys influenced by the culture they find themselves growing up in. L and I obliged their many desires that year, leading to a fairly expensive Christmas. A mere two weeks after Christmas those many wants, which were now haves in their very hands, no longer held the same meaning to them. I didn't and don't blame them for this. I feel it's a "luxury" of their generation, and if I'm honest, each generation between theirs and my own. Under that tree that year existed many hours L and I spent at work. I dare say time that would have rather been spent as a family, doing any number of things that cost little to

Find a Tribe

With most goals, I always suggest people find a small accountability group for support. It's often said that our behaviors can be strongly influenced by the 6 closest people in our lives.  According to a survey done by the investment app Acorns, talking about money isn't something that people like to do. I dare say many find it taboo. A statistic shared by Acorns is that 68% of people would rather talk about their weight than talk about their financial situation .  One side benefit of sharing this journal, is I have found others that are on a similar journeys. Having people to discuss things with and hold you accountable (whether directly or passively) can help with motivation. Finding someone who has practiced the behaviors you're working on for a good duration of their life can serve as a great mentor, whether you actually designate that person with such a title or not. Whatever life goals you have, find a tribe of like minded individuals. Guard against people who co