Skip to main content

Snow Storms

Ahhhhh, March snow storms. It wasn't as brutal as they predicted, thankfully.

Another tip to save money and get a free workout - shovel your own driveway! I think I've saved hundreds in my 4 years of home ownership and burned thousands of calories.

Next week wraps up my first 30 day cycle of budgeting and keeping a journal alongside it. I wasn't quite sure what would come of this once I made it public, but I have to admit, it's already given back to me in many ways. I'm looking forward to continuing.

I've mentioned a few motivations that I have to complete this goal. Another one is that alongside the financial independence, I hope it provides a little more time to do the things I enjoy. One of which is giving back. Working a full time+ job and having two young kids with a spouse that also works full time, doesn't present me with much free time. The plan is this goal will be achieved at a time that the kids are older, and together we could explore volunteering opportunities.

I've been open about the things that I've learned and believe in within these posts. How happiness can't be purchased. How material possessions will only make you feel good about yourself for so long, eventually becoming an endless and expensive carousel.

I mentioned yesterday wellness is a combination of physical, mental, financial, social and spiritual health.

Nothing feeds my spiritual wellness more than developing a strong social community, and giving to, or serving, others. I look forward to exploring that more fully when able. I know most of you would challenge me and say I'm able to now, but there's more work that needs to be done personally.

If that sappiness hasn't made you vomit yet, maybe this will. I welcome you to reach out to me if there's anything I can help you with. Even it's just an ear to listen. Honestly, I'd probably be the last to take anybody up on an offer like that, but would be the first to tell you that it can make a huge difference. Don't stay in a storm too long before reaching out to someone.

That's all. Happy Thursday.



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Dieting

As talked about yesterday, Americans spend a lot of money on food and drink. If you eat outside of your home often, you spend even more. Two weeks in to this 30 day budget cycle, and I'm already at my budgeted amount for food/groceries/house items. After seeing this I need to make two changes. The first change is adding another line item to my budget for household items (think paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning products), because right now it's getting lumped in with my grocery dollars. The second change is an effort to eat more frugally. I've begun to do this, but efforts will be increased. Here is my plan: I need to get to a point where I make a list and shop once a week. I've been known to stop by Hannaford 3-4 times per week and this alone will lead to buying too much. I want to stick to a simple eating plan: Delay my first meal as long as possible in the morning. I think there are benefits to the combination of  intermittent fasting/calorie restriction

Time and Money

The past four years have been a realization that there exists two main commodities in life, time and money. In this post I talked about the fact that when you spend your money, you're mortgaging your time. This was most evident a few weeks after Christmas 2014. The girls reached an age where their Christmas list was quite large; a lists of desired toys influenced by the culture they find themselves growing up in. L and I obliged their many desires that year, leading to a fairly expensive Christmas. A mere two weeks after Christmas those many wants, which were now haves in their very hands, no longer held the same meaning to them. I didn't and don't blame them for this. I feel it's a "luxury" of their generation, and if I'm honest, each generation between theirs and my own. Under that tree that year existed many hours L and I spent at work. I dare say time that would have rather been spent as a family, doing any number of things that cost little to

Find a Tribe

With most goals, I always suggest people find a small accountability group for support. It's often said that our behaviors can be strongly influenced by the 6 closest people in our lives.  According to a survey done by the investment app Acorns, talking about money isn't something that people like to do. I dare say many find it taboo. A statistic shared by Acorns is that 68% of people would rather talk about their weight than talk about their financial situation .  One side benefit of sharing this journal, is I have found others that are on a similar journeys. Having people to discuss things with and hold you accountable (whether directly or passively) can help with motivation. Finding someone who has practiced the behaviors you're working on for a good duration of their life can serve as a great mentor, whether you actually designate that person with such a title or not. Whatever life goals you have, find a tribe of like minded individuals. Guard against people who co