Skip to main content

The Birth of My Debt Story

Hello. I'm D.
To state that today is the beginning of tackling debt isn't completely true. Debt has always been on my mind...
From it's birth - my first year at college with my first credit card in hand, making my first trip to the university book store. The shocking total appeared on the register after scanning a semester load of books; my only option was that newly activated credit card. It was then and there that I was introduced to the ease of swiping plastic through a machine and walking away with a purchase. It had begun. Through the college years, the ease of that credit card swipe would help fill in the large margins of uncontrolled spending with only a part time, minimum wage salary to my name. Debt was nursed on that credit card - food, alcohol, clothing, gas, fun, books. The "necessities" of college life.
Debt became a raging toddler after graduating from college. Adding to the credit card debt was now student loan debt. Upon graduating, reading my final loan literature from Nelnet was eye-opening. I hope I wasn't the only one who had no idea how much they were borrowing while completing their 4 year degree. It was financial ignorance at it's best.
To add to this, the bells of marriage rang loud the same month I graduated college. The merging of two Nelnet Student Loan notes and credit card debt was witnessed that day. It was a very modest wedding for my wife L and me. Looking back, it was a fortunate necessity that we had to finance it on our own, but even the modest borrowing was increasing the size of the debt shadow cast behind us.
First job = first car loan. It wasn't the modest car it should have been and it added to debt's pre-teen years. Like most parents, we entered the next stage unprepared.
Debt's cranky teenage years began in my mid 20's when our first child was born, followed by a second a few years later. L began staying home to raise each of our two beautiful children (S and H). Over the course of those first 5 years, L worked part time for 3 years and not at all for 2. We "successfully" tread water through that period. We didn't drown, but the water level went from chest high to just under the nostrils. Treading water is what most of us know as "making the minimum payments". More credit helped get through the hospital costs, the increased health premiums, multiple vehicle purchases (rolling one note into another), and the many added costs of growing little humans on one modest income. Credit had our backs.
Our debt matured when our first house was purchased. This was 3 years ago. With L being fully employed for three years at the time and with me experiencing a work transition that led to a higher income, we thought it was the best time to get a home. Conventional wisdom suggested buying instead of renting, and S and H now needed more room. To our credit, we did buy a very modest home, but we took advantage of the popular zero down, first time home-buyers mortgage. Our debt was now at it's peak.
...I've always felt debt in the background. Debt is unpleasant. It's touch cold, grip firm. So like most unpleasant things, I've done my best to ignore it. Until now. It's too hard to ignore. I'm motivated to loosen the grip of debt, and look forward to the day when debt is dead and buried and I can remove it's cold, suffocating presence, once and for all.
This blog will chronicle that journey. I'm not sure how forthcoming I'll be with total numbers, as it's embarrassing. However, I will chronicle my thoughts and journal where my money is spent, hopefully daily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Dieting

As talked about yesterday, Americans spend a lot of money on food and drink. If you eat outside of your home often, you spend even more. Two weeks in to this 30 day budget cycle, and I'm already at my budgeted amount for food/groceries/house items. After seeing this I need to make two changes. The first change is adding another line item to my budget for household items (think paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning products), because right now it's getting lumped in with my grocery dollars. The second change is an effort to eat more frugally. I've begun to do this, but efforts will be increased. Here is my plan: I need to get to a point where I make a list and shop once a week. I've been known to stop by Hannaford 3-4 times per week and this alone will lead to buying too much. I want to stick to a simple eating plan: Delay my first meal as long as possible in the morning. I think there are benefits to the combination of  intermittent fasting/calorie restriction

Time and Money

The past four years have been a realization that there exists two main commodities in life, time and money. In this post I talked about the fact that when you spend your money, you're mortgaging your time. This was most evident a few weeks after Christmas 2014. The girls reached an age where their Christmas list was quite large; a lists of desired toys influenced by the culture they find themselves growing up in. L and I obliged their many desires that year, leading to a fairly expensive Christmas. A mere two weeks after Christmas those many wants, which were now haves in their very hands, no longer held the same meaning to them. I didn't and don't blame them for this. I feel it's a "luxury" of their generation, and if I'm honest, each generation between theirs and my own. Under that tree that year existed many hours L and I spent at work. I dare say time that would have rather been spent as a family, doing any number of things that cost little to

Find a Tribe

With most goals, I always suggest people find a small accountability group for support. It's often said that our behaviors can be strongly influenced by the 6 closest people in our lives.  According to a survey done by the investment app Acorns, talking about money isn't something that people like to do. I dare say many find it taboo. A statistic shared by Acorns is that 68% of people would rather talk about their weight than talk about their financial situation .  One side benefit of sharing this journal, is I have found others that are on a similar journeys. Having people to discuss things with and hold you accountable (whether directly or passively) can help with motivation. Finding someone who has practiced the behaviors you're working on for a good duration of their life can serve as a great mentor, whether you actually designate that person with such a title or not. Whatever life goals you have, find a tribe of like minded individuals. Guard against people who co